What is the Horizon Award?
A recent study conducted by Women in Film showed that ONLY 7% of the top 250 grossing movies in 2016 were directed by women. The Horizon Award seeks to change this by giving emerging female directors the opportunity to have their work viewed by some of Hollywood’s most influential directors and producers.
By submitting a two minute project showcasing directing ability, candidates are in the running for an all-expenses-paid trip to the 2021 Sundance Film Festival where their film will be screened, they will attend workshops, screenings and parties in addition to being mentored by acclaimed producers Cassian Elwes (Mudbound, Dallas Buyers Club, Lee Daniels’ The Butler) Christine Vachon (Dark Waters, Carol, Still Alice, Boy’s Don’t Cry) and Lynette Howell (The Accountant, The Place Beyond the Pines, Blue Valentine, Big Eyes).
The rules of the 2021 Horizon Award
- Must be female without a manager or agent
- Each Director is only allowed one submission
- 26 years old or younger
How to apply for the 2021 Horizon Award
- Submit a film with a running time that is 2min or less that you have directed.
- You can submit existing films that you have already made, as long as it does not exceed the 2mins maximum. If your submitting a film that has already been made and it is longer than two minutes in length then it must be cut down to 2mins or less.
- When submitting your film file for upload the file cannot be larger than 100MB in file size and it must be in .mov or .mp4 format.
- Put your name as the file name of the video submission. (example: “Jane Doe.mov”)
- Sign the release below allowing us to circulate your film for Horizon purposes. Keep in mind this release does not grant ownership, only use of the submission.
- Upload the film file submission to the secure file drop below. You will receive a confirmation note in the file drop when your upload is successfully complete.
- Each director is only allowed one submission.
- Email email@example.com with any questions.